WELCOME

THIS IS A BLOG DEDICATED TO PITT FOOTBALL.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

PASSING NOTES...SORT OF...ON WVU

Well….we kind of already passed notes on WVU, didn’t we?  Thanks to Brian, we had a nice preview of the Mountaineers….so I thought I would pass along just a few news, notes, and thoughts about the upcoming game and the Brawl in general.


-          Lucas Nix has practiced at full speed this week and is a go!

-          I have been to WVU 3 times for the Brawl and I do have to admit one thing: Despite repeated stories about just how bad West Virginia fans are; I think I had one person in those 3 trips, tell me that Pitt sucks and that was some fat 12 year old while I was walking past him….and he said that half heartedly.  My brother’s friends from Louisville will beg to differ on that though, as I have heard many, many horror stories from other fans.

-          According to a Jacksonville, FL newspaper, this past weekend was the first time since 2002 that a University of Miami, FL alum had not scored a touchdown in the NFL.  That was the longest streak for any college football program.  The longest streak now????  Your Pitt Panthers with 13 straight weeks!!

-          In addition to seeing Pitt in Morgantown, I have seen them several times in Pittsburgh go against the Mountaineers.  There have been some exciting games that I have attended, including: Kevan Barlow running all over WVU;  Tyler Palko’s last second TD to come back on WVU; Shady McCoy’s drive to beat WVU the year after 13-9; and of course, the name of this blog….which was one of the best nights as a Pitt fan ever.


Now that we have discussed that, let’s look at the famous 13-9 game.  I remember living in DC and having purchased my first flat screen, HD television set just about a week previous and this game being the first big event I watched on it.  It looked glorious.  You may remember that year as being awful for Pitt.  However, true Pitt die-hards will remember this Panther team looking awful at first, and then turning a corner when DW went into the booth to coach them in an upset win over a then ranked Cincinnati team.  They played well after that.  I still didn’t think Pitt had a chance, until ESPN went live to Morgantown and they showed a clip of the Mountaineers walking into the stadium amongst their fans.  I saw outright overconfidence.  I saw a celebration before the party.  I thought right there: Pitt has a chance.  The 3+ hours that followed were, well glorious!


What do I think happens this year?  I see a slow start by WVU, followed by a tight Pitt team unable to hold on.  I think it is a good game and I believe both programs are headed into the right direction. They both have the right coach at the helm.  Final score – WVU 33  Pitt 27.


Don’t get too excited WVU fans….just remember the name of this blog will never change and just to remind you a little further:


No comments:

Post a Comment