WELCOME

THIS IS A BLOG DEDICATED TO PITT FOOTBALL.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Passing Notes on....Youngstown State

 
I love college football. Right now I have the South Carolina and Vandy game on and my alma mater's live stats on the computer on another window. In case you are wondering, Clarion University and Fairmont State are locked in a battle to the death, 0-0 in the 2nd quarter right now. I know, I know, try and remain calm.  With that being said, it is time to pass some notes on The Youngstown State Penguins.  I never cheer against Penguins, but this Saturday will be different.    As mentioned in my season preview, these blog posts will be brief and to the point this year, due to my impending marriage in October.  I will give you a moment to allow for swearing and gnashing of teeth.

The season will kick off at 6PM, Saturday, at Heinz Field on the big network of ESPN3.com.  The only other way to see it is to actually buy a ticket (I won’t hold my breath).  YSU is returning from a 6-5 season, where they lost a few close ones and gave eventual FCS champion, North Dakota State, their only loss of the season.  For those of you hoping for a cake walk Saturday night, I wouldn’t count on it.  The Penguins return 10 starters to an offense that averaged 458.6 yards and 36.2 points per game.  Granted this was against mostly FCS competition, but YSU did hang around with Michigan State last year before losing.

The offense is a multiple set system that is highlighted by Junior QB, Kurt Hess.  Hess has lots of help in this offense from returning Senior Tailback, Jamaine Cook.  The offense isn’t just a well oiled machine.  The Penguins have a tremendous ability to avoid the big turnover and back breaking sack.  ALL of last year, YSU gave up 9 sacks and only turned the ball over 13 times!  Pitt will have to do something about that in order to keep YSU from gaining confidence in this game.

The 13th ranked Penguins did have a lot of trouble on the other side of the ball.  The unit returns 6 starters from last year and appear to have made some coaching changes to help those struggles as well.  I don’t expect them to have as big of problems and the strength of the defensive is on the line.

The keys to the game should be pretty obvious for Pitt.  They will have to start early, create a turnover and Aaron Donald and company will need to get pressure on the backfield of YSU all night long.  If the defensive line can control the line of scrimmage, I think Pitt can do a lot of damage.  The Panthers do have some injury problems.  I expect Ray Graham will play, but they want to avoid giving him more than a few touches.  I think they sit Todd Thomas (for a while) and K’Waun Williams.  I do expect Jared Holley to play.

I am concerned mostly about the inexperienced Panther linebackers ability to read the multiple set offense.  I think YSU will have some good offensive movement, but the Pitt defensive line will prove too much.  I do expect some fireworks, but Pitt will win 41-21.  Don’t be shocked if the Penguins hang around.  This is not a gimme.  Enjoy Saturday!  If you are in the area, check out the game, as the weather is expected to be dry as of this writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment