WELCOME

THIS IS A BLOG DEDICATED TO PITT FOOTBALL.

Sunday, November 11, 2012

GROUNDHOG DAY! RECAPPING UCONN


I was a sophomore in high school and I wrestled for my school.  To say I was mediocre is to say I’m tall.  I’m not tall, nor was I good at wrestling.  I started for all three years mostly because no one else at my school was as small as I was and could not make 103 pounds.  My sophomore year, I won 1 match.  During that year, I wrestled someone that had lost to the only kid I beat.  I lost to him.  When I came off the mat, the coach pulled me aside and insisted that I took him lightly.  I kept telling him that I did not.  Over and over, he responded, yes you did…you just don’t know it.  I’m not saying the Pitt Panthers did not care about the game on Friday or didn’t think they had to show up, but in the back of their heads, they ABSOLUTELY felt they could show up and win.  After all of the trouble this program has had in playing up to their capabilities AND their trouble specifically at UConn in past years…I don’t know how this happens!

I won’t rattle off any stats.  I will tell you that there was a familiar feeling before the game happened.  I picked Pitt to win big (by 17) and yet, as soon as the game started, I was not even close to being in shock.  I felt it happening, as I am sure many other Pitt fans did.  A terrible offense and Pitt could not stop them at all in the first half.  The defense looked to have all of the intensity that I have when I get up to take a piss at 3AM.  Terrible effort and yet…not surprised.  I’ve seen this movie before.

From the look of the stats, someone who did not watch the game, may think Tino Sunseri had a good game.  According to multiple reporters, who were at the game, he most certainly did not.  According to those tweets, Sunseri missed a good amount of receivers down the field and to be blunt about it, several times it was Devin Street that he had on a pay no mind list.  To clarify…I don’t mean he missed as in overthrew…he simply did not see them.

If we can take one silver lining in this debacle, it was that LB Shane Gordon played the second half and played well.  Unfortunately, the Panthers everyone expected to see only played in the second half.  Why they could not bring that intensity in the first half is beyond me.  Going down 24-0 was typical of a Pitt team coming off a few strong games and when that happened, every true Pitt fan KNEW they would make a comeback only to fall short.  YOU KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN!  It happens every year….every year! Watching Pitt football is very much like the below.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment