WELCOME

THIS IS A BLOG DEDICATED TO PITT FOOTBALL.

Sunday, September 11, 2011

DON'T JUMP OFF A BRIDGE YET!

I am only going to say this once.  IT WAS *&^%$* MAINE!!!!!!!!!!!  MAINE!  The only time you should give up 29 points and 334 passing yards to Maine, is if you are scoring 90 points. 

Most of yesterday, I spent feeling like this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-SPJtVfLw8 . Now, despite those feelings, the fact is that Pitt is 2-0 and if they win next weekend at Iowa, the famously fickle fan base of Pitt will be back in full force…you know, much like the student section remains to be at these games.  The rest of the Pitt fans remained disguised as yellow seats yesterday…OH, but they will kick and scream if the NCAA screws them in a bowl bid.

Let’s start with the offensive line.  They were bad….BAD.  I think I even saw Lucas Nix give up a sack or two.  That is not normal and this must be fixed .  It also seemed like Ryan Turnley decided to see if Tino Sunseri and the rest of the O was ready by snapping the ball early one play.  This must be fixed ASAP!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKFRSL4wpcY&feature=related

Tino was up and down again and with Trey Anderson coming off the bench and looking comfortable, it seems something could be brewing….BUT, Graham was quick to point out that Tino is the man, so for better or worse, Tino is at it again in Iowa on Saturday.  Now, was it me, or did Tino seem more comfortable going over the middle for 15-20 yards??  That is the way it seemed to me, but other than that he seemed uncomfortable and I have to ask…..does ANYONE know what that last play before the half was all about???  They went from deep in their own territory with 1 timeout and less than a minute left, to the Black Bear half of the field.  They appeared to line up for one more big throw down field and with Mike Shanahan’s 6’5 frame and leaping ability, I thought there was a chance, so of course, it seemed like a good idea to Tino (or the coaching staff – not sure which) to dump a pass off to Ray Graham 5 yards downfield….does anyone know what that was????   I do not.

The defense…what can I say…some freshmen looked good with Ejuan Price and also the debut of LaQuentin Smith at linebacker.  They looked pretty good and should develop nicely.  Other than that, Brandon Lindsey had an unreal sack in the first half.  That was about it, because when you give up 334 yards to WARREN SMITH….you don’t deserve much praise.  That was downright ugly!

OK, that’s enough…I’m not saying anymore (take a deep breath on that note Kevin Harper).  They are 2-0, and that is what matters in the end…..Tino will start and the next 3 games are BIG.  I’m not even looking for all wins in these next three.  I just want to see steady improvement with this team.  I want to see them get more comfortable week in and week out.  Until we see what happens by mid-October, I will not declare this a bad or even mediocre team.  They are changing philosophies and systems on both sides of the ball, so I believe some patience is required…..Saturday definitely tested that theory.

No comments:

Post a Comment